Thursday, August 24, 2006

Get older, get more picky

I remember being young and not caring if the top of my pop can "might" be dirty before I drink out of it. This morning, however, I realized that I really wanted to wipe off the top of my orange juice can this morning before I drank out of it.

As I went to open my little 5.5 oz juice can, I suddenly remembered a story that my mom told me when I was younger... it went something like this...

"You should really wash off the tops of your cans before you drink out of them because my mother saw a homeless man urinating on a crate of pop cans (or was it bottles)in an alley once."

And after I remembered this little story, I remembered that I've noticed my coworkers wiping off their pop can tops before they open them. And now that I think of what could possibly be on a pop can top, I can't help but wipe mine off.

I've also noticed that the older I get, and the more informed I get, the pickier I become.

I don't use antibacterial soap anymore because it just creates a breeding ground for super bacteria that have become immune to the soap.

I don't touch the handles in bathrooms with my bare hands anymore.

and there are probably many other things that I have done all my life but have suddenly found a reason to modify.

One thing I will not do, though, is be one of those lysol carrying mom's spraying every single door handle in the whole house. It's hard not to think of those little creatures that look so icky in the magnified 10,000,000 times pictures hanging out on your door handles and countertops, and I can see why some women over sterilize everything.

But I've found that if I imagine those little creatures as tiny cartoons with weird smiley faces having a party on my doorknobs instead of the real-life nastiness that they are, I can ignore them.

No comments: